Thursday, February 12, 2009

Snobby about my Chocolate

Isaiah 55:2

"Why spend money on what is not bread and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare."

Last week, I was incredibly busy. You know the kind of "busy" I am talking about. Each day I had several things scheduled back to back, for which, I had several lists. As I was checking through the lists, I had this feeling like I was forgetting something. Not that I could have squeezed in anything else, but at least I could have rescheduled,right? And sure enough, I did forget something on Tuesday. I was so frustrated, because, I really wanted to get everything done, and I wanted to please the Lord in the process. So, Tuesday night, I made a complete list of everything for the week, committed it to prayer, and asked God to help me to have wisdom and discernment, energy and a cheerful spirit for each day.

I went to bed, fully trusting that the days would go by in pleasant haste, and that I would be astounded by God's ability to accomplish so many things through me. I woke up around 3:00 a.m. with kidney stone pain and was up for the rest of the night. I was hurting so badly that I opted to take Aleeve, which makes me very groggy. Then some time around 6:30ish, I dozed and had these little weird "mini-dreams". The one that I woke up thinking about involved Starburst candy and its' point value in Weight Watchers. I joined a few years ago, and was very suprised to find that every little thing that goes into our bodies counts. And if you can only consume 20 points in a day, a handful of M&M's and a couple of Starburst hardly seem worth the points. After all, they don't leave much room for food with actual value. I learned to become quite the snob about what I consume. I just cannot be bothered with cheap chocolate!

As I went through Wednesday and the remainder of the week, I began to weigh each activity as worthy or not worthy of my time. I began to see that little indulgences, such as watching other people's drama on T.V. is a bit wasteful, when all around me there are people hurting, people I can actually help with a kind word or a card, a meal, or a listening ear. I began to see that having my garage spotless is a bit of a waste of my time, when my children are hurting and need some "Mommy time". I could go on and on, but you get the point. We have so many opportunities each day to do good things, and sometimes, we have to choose a couple and let the others go. Because there is nothing wrong with watching the Biggest Looser or cleaning the garage. Sometimes, it just isn't God's best for that day.

1 comment:

Ali said...

That is a great way to check the way we spend our time...sort of a point system. I need that, especially today! Thanks!