Monday, October 27, 2008

All About Attitude

"Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound in you, so that in all things, at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." 2 Corinthians 4:7-8

Okay, this is not a post with a great amount of depth and the lesson that has been the theme of the past couple of weeks for me, is not a new one. Just one that I have pretty much been learning my entire life. And it is all about my attitude!!!

Have you ever been in a really good mood, then found yourself a bit grouchy and traced the change back to someones' bad attitude? If you have ever shopped at the nameless superstore near my house, I think you'll answer,"yes". Have you ever met someone who could just suck the fun right out of any situation? If you have ever shopped at that same superstore with me, I'm sure you'll answer "yes". I can not stand to shop at that place!!! I tell myself on the way in to be patient and kind, but somehow, I manage to loose all resolve by the time I leave.

I'll spare you all the different scenarios (lately) in which God has reminded me to have a cheerful attitude. The point is, that it is not in my nature. I am by nature a very negative person. "And God is able to make all grace abound in you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." The Holy Spirit in me is able to be gracious in all things, at all times! Whatever, I have been called by God to give, whether it be love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, or self-control, I have it to give, and give cheerfully. Because I have the Holy Spirit living in me.

I basically know this, and I usually rely on the Holy Spirit in the big things. It's like I am aware of the importance of my investment of time or talent when I visit a sick person or take on a huge project, but not when I set out to accomplish ordinary, day to day things. And so, in trying to be gracious on my own, I fall miserably short.

Anything and everything that God has called me to do is an opportunity to invest (or sow) cheerfully. I'll have to remember to allow the Holy Spirit to live through me the next time I run to ...well, you know..., the superstore!

1 comment:

Hadassah said...

LOL! I hate "that store" too. And I only enter and shop there under the most dire of circumstances.